One place understood helps us understand all places better.

Eudora Welty

Home

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Audibles

This is a poem I sent to my poetry teacher. I'm afraid she completely missed the point of the poem. She thought I was trying a poor imitation of William Carlos Williams. I was really trying to take some imagist poetry and recast it in sound. I think I quit trying to communicate with her after that.

So, the first Audible below is WCW's "The Red Wheelbarrow" (a very famous imagist poem) as I hear it.

Link:

The second Audible is old Ezra Pound's two line poem (again very famous) "In a Station of the Metro" as I hear it.

Link:


The third Audible is Hilda Doolittle's imagist poem "Epigram" as I hear it.

Link:

Audibles

1.
Push the red wheelbarrow
Hear it pop and bang and whumpf
when it bottoms a hole

And parts a cloud of white chicks
As it wedges its way
to more serious work.

2.
In the station of the Metronome
Hear the steady click-clack
and whoosh-rumble of the cars

As the PA announces the arrival
of yet another glazed apparition
bringing the weather report.

3.
The golden butterfly is gone
pinned through the wings
to make a slide-show image

Those wings could have beat
a rhythm, a clear chatter
to be seen and heard.