One place understood helps us understand all places better.

Eudora Welty

Home

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Wendell made the choice

I am in a desert
of trees and forests
I have a choice of
leaves and berries.

Wendell made the choice.

If I choose to survive here
I will live a short, busy,
relevant to this place
life, until soon comes the end.

Wendell made the choice.

I could get a patch of trees
gather seeds as I go
and hope after a season
there's a refuge and a pantry.

Wendell made the choice.

Wendell in your eighties
do you really think
berry gathering will suffice?

Are you glad for windows
that shield from the cold
but allow the light, on an old
man such as you?

I suspect if you choose
berries and roots
you'll have nothing to worry
about, the world-ending fire
you'll never see, as someone
other than you will write to me.

Wendell you made the choice.

4.12.22